Records Request

University Records Management does not provide records to the public.
We are an internal compliance unit.

For assistance with donations or historically significant materials, please contact the University Archives at the Special Collections Research Center for questions and assistance.

For all transcript, diploma, and student records related inquiries, please reach out to the Office of the University Registrar or submit your request for paper or electronic transcripts.

For all employment verification needs, please contact Human Resources & Payroll for further assistance.

For all subpoenas and legal correspondences, please contact the Office of University Counsel.

For all Freedom of Information Act questions or requests, please contact the FOIA Compliance Officer for further assistance.

If you are a Mason staff or faculty member seeking a record from the University Records Center:

Email University Records Management with your name, your office, and any available information you have regarding the record you are seeking. You can only request records belonging to your office. If you need a record from another office, please reach out to that office to ask that they put in a records request on your behalf. Information that will assist with a faster turn around:


  • Record or File Name (Subject, Name, G#, etc.)
  • Date of the Record
  • Month/Year Transferred to the University Records Center
  • Box Number and/or Box Batch Number
  • Box Label
  • If you are making a time sensitive request due to an audit or FOIA request, please be sure to indicate the urgency of your request so we can prioritize the retrieval. Record(s) may be retrieved for temporary loan or may be permanently returned to the department of origin. Please let us know if you plan on keeping a retrieved record.