Transfer of Records
For Storage or Immediate Shredding
Sample records box with box label
Identify temporary inactive records eligible to be sent to University Records Management for storage or immediate shredding.
- Active records should remain with you.
- To learn more about which records are eligible for storage or shredding contact the University Records Manager, or refer to the Library of Virginia's General Schedules for state records management guidelines.
Contact University Records Management to obtain free records boxes.
- For safety reasons, records boxes (pictured, right) are the only type of boxes in which records can be sent to the University Records Center for storage or shredding. Please do not use any other type of boxes such as boxes without lids, smaller boxes, or larger boxes, including moving boxes. Non-standard boxes will be returned to you to re-pack.
- The boxes measure 1 cubic foot in size and you may request as many boxes as you need. Please do not order records boxes for purpose other than transferring records to University Records Management. The records boxes are not intended for moving or in-office storage purposes.
- University Records Management will deliver the boxes to your office or send them via campus mail depending on your location. Please allow a few days for delivery.
Fill the records boxes:
- Place records in the record boxes by category. You may place more than one category of records in a box, but try to keep like records together.
- Please weed out duplicate papers unless there is a compelling reason to keep copies.
- Do not include nonrecord materials such as magazines, reference books, software manuals, newspapers, blank forms, excess stock of publications, or other non-Mason items.
Label the records boxes:
- Prepare a label for each records box. Make sure the label includes your department name, description of the box contents, and a date range. If you do not know the planned disposal date and GS#, University Records Management will assist you.
- Make a total of three copies of each box label:
- A copy to attach to the records boxes
- A copy to forward to University Records Management
- A copy to retain for your records
- Affix one of the box labels to one of the short sides of the records boxes (12.5 x 10 inches side) so that the labels will be clearly visible when the records boxes are stacked in the University Records Center. Labels should be taped or stapled to the records box.
Records box pick up:
- When you are ready for a box pick up, forward a copy of the box labels to University Records Management. Make sure to include your contact information and where the boxes are located (building and room number). The labels can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 3-8911, or sent through campus mail to MS2FL. University Records Management will review the box labels and contact you with any questions.
- After all information is received, University Records Management will make arrangements to have the records boxes transported to the University Records Center. If you requested a large volume transfer, facilities staff will pick up the boxes. Please allow 5 business days for pick up from the time all information is received.