University Records Management
GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY POLICIES
- University Policy 1102: Records Management
The Code of Virginia, §42.1-85, requires that Mason establish and maintain an active, continuing program for the economical and efficient management of records. George Mason University is required to adhere to all schedules published by the Library of Virginia. Employees of Mason are responsible for ensuring that University Records are preserved, maintained, and accessible throughout their lifecycle.
- University Policy 1114: Data Stewardship
- University Policy 1114A: Removal of University Data from Electronic Media
- University Policy 1117: Responding to Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests for Records
- University Policy 1122: FERPA Compliance
- University Policy 1118: Compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- University Policy 4011: Ownership and Maintenance of Research Records
- University Policy 1301: Responsible Use of Computing
VIRGINIA RECORDS LAWS
- Virginia Public Records Act
- Virginia Freedom of Information Act
"The General Assembly intends ... to establish a single body of law applicable to all public officers and employees on the subject of public records management and preservation and to ensure that the procedures used to manage and preserve public records will be uniform throughout the Commonwealth."
OTHER REGULATIONS & MANDATES